Craving chocolate isn’t just a female thing — many people have a sweet tooth that acts up once in awhile (or maybe daily). There are a lot of recipes online using raw cacao powder, plus various fruits and other ingredients to make healthy chocolate-y smoothies. I’ve tested literally dozens of these recipes and I’ve come-up with my own spin on this chocolate delight!
I love raw cacao powder for several reasons:
- If you love chocolate, cacao powder (mixed with something sweet) will knock your socks off with its chocolate-y richness.
- Cacao is high in flavonoids, a type of antioxidant that destroy free radicals and keep your cells healthy.
- Cacao is a natural stimulant and will give you an energy boost, so it’s a great ingredient for a breakfast smoothie.
I buy raw cacao, which is not heated and contains all the nutrients naturally found in cacao. Choose this nutrient-rich and stimulating smoothie instead of a mocha or cup of coffee.
Raw Cacao Energy Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 Tbsps. raw cacao powder
- 1 cup raw almond milk
- Vanilla bean or 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 Medjool dates, pits removed (if you don’t have dates, 1 Tbsp. of raw honey will suffice)
- 2-4 Tbsps. Hemp protein powder (optional)
- About 3-4 large ice cubes
Add banana, avocado, raw cacao, almond milk, vanilla, dates (cut into two or three pieces), and hemp protein powder to high-powered blender. Start off at a low speed and gradually work up to maximum blending speed until creamy and smooth. Turn blender off, add ice cubes, put lid back on and blend until the ice is broken down. Serve and enjoy!